The History of Nora High School
Nora (population 118) is located in far northwestern Illinois in the northeastern portion
of Jo Davies County. Nora is situated on County Road 6, also known as N.Stagecoach Road. E.Nora Road also takes
you to and from the village. The Chicago Central & Pacific Railroad line travels through Nora. Nora is
located about 20 miles northwest of Freeport.
A nice history of the early development of Nora can be viewed at the web address of http://books.google.com/books?id=gWYOAAAAIAAJ&q=nora#v=snippet&q=nora&f=false . An oniline book is located there and is titled "The History of Jo Davies County, Illinois".
The book has copy write year of 1878. Information on the village of Nora is located on page
561. In summary, the early history of Nora is as follows:
Nora was platted in 1853 by George Stanchfield. Shortly after the town was officially
recognized Mr. Stanchfield constructed the first house. Small businesses soon followed. Churches
and a school system were soon in place as well.
We only know of high school courses being offered in Nora due to a brief comment on this same page.
The comment states as follows:
"Among the active political and educational workers, may be mentioned the names T. Clarkson,
Puckett, S. K. Miner, Robert K. Wilson, and Alfonso E. Ricker. The acknowledged excellence of the high
school and public schools in general, and the brilliant success of the Nora Lecture course, is attributed to the
energy, intelligence and enterprise of these gentlemen."
We have not been able to locate any further information on Nora High School. Our only guess is that Nora
High School existed from the late 1870s through the late 1940s, possibly longer. We do know that the school-aged children
of Nora today attend classes in nearby Warren, just 4 miles to the northwest of town.
Nora High School Quick Facts
Consolidated to: Warren
Nora HS team nickname: unavailable
Nora HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable