The History of Cutler High School
Cutler (population 543) is located in southeastern Illinois about 20 miles northeast
of East St. Louis. The town sits in the east-central portion of Madison County. Illinois Route 143 is the main
roadway to and from Cutler. This road connects Cutler to Interstate Highway 70 about one mile to the southeast
of town. Illinois Route 4 passes by Cutler about one mile to the west as well.
The following two web addresses provide history information about the town of Cutler and its former school
In a book titled "History of Perry County, Illinois" by Turner Publishing Company (page 63) the
following history of the town of Cutler and its former high school is available:
Pioneers began to settle the area in which Cutler was eventually established as early as 1825, The
village of Cutler was first settled in 1873. It was not incorporated as a village however until 1907. The town
is named after a surveyor for the Tamoroa, Chester, and Western Railroad named Cutler Dawson.
The first school in Cutler was a frame building. It was replaced by a brick building iin 1929.
This brick building housed both a grade school and a high school. The high school existed through the 1947-48 school
year. It was in that year that the towns of Campbell Hill, Willisville, and Cutler agreed to consolidate their high schools.
The new school district was called the Trico School District. The high school was located with an
address in Campbell Hill. The Cutler school continued to serve as a grade school through the 1973 school year when it
was closed as a school. The town continues to use it for functions including a post office.
Cutler High School Quick Facts
Consolidated to: Trico High School
Cutler HS nickname: unavailable
Team uniform colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable