The History of Dorchester High School
Dorchester (population 142) is located in the southwestern portion of Illinois in the south-central
portion of Macoupin County. The town is situated on County Highway 15 about one mile north of Illinois Route 138. Dorchester
is located about halfway between the towns of Gillespie and Bunker Hill.
A railroad was built in the area in 1855. A station was established where the town of Dorchester now sits
in 1861. Businesses began springing up near the depot and by 1866 the population began to grow. In addition
to the businesses two churches were established in the 1860s as well. Coal mining was an important part of the early
growth of Dorchester.
The first school in Dorchester was established in 1869. It appears that but for a few years Dorchester children
were limited to a the maximum of an 8th grade education. However, for at least a few years, the school
system offered courses that went beyond the eighth grade. During the years of 1910 through 1912 it is probable that
one to two years of high school courses were offered.
Dorchester High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1910?
Year closed: 1912?
Consolidated to: Gillespie High School
Unknown if athletics offered