The History of Greenwood High School
Greenwood (population 244) in located on far northeastern Illinois in the central portion of McHenry County.
Greenwood is situated on County Road V24, also known as Greenwood Road, on the outer limits of the town of Wonder Lake,
about 4 miles northeast of Woodstock. The Nippersink Creek flows just to the south of Greenwood.
The history of Greenwood High School and the Greenwood school system is in need of research. We were
advised of its existence through research conducted by our long-time fan and contributor, Roberta VanBriesen McKisk.
Roberta found an article that was written about McHenry County schools. This short clip was found in the article:
"Greenwood School--circa 1859--...This is a post Civil War structure. It is a two story building
with Federal brick styling. First through eighth grades were on the first floor and high school was on the second
floor. It was used continuously until 1948--continuously for 89 years. The structure is original except
for the front doors."
A short article regarding the picture of the school shown above is available at the McHenry County Historic
Preservation Commission web address of http://mchhpc.org/greenwood.html . This article describes the building and adds that it is now used as a private residence.
We would guess that high school courses were started in the late 1800s to very early 1900s. Like many
other small schools, it is likely that Greenwood High School was closed in 1948. The kids of Greenwood today likely
attend Woodstock North High School.
Greenwood High School Quick Facts
Year school opened: 1859
Year HS classes started: late 1800s / early 1900s
Year school closed: 1948
Woodstock School District
School team nickname: unavailable
School team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable