The history of the town of Baylis and its former high school has been difficult to research via the internet. The
following informaiton regarding Baylis High School was sent to us by Bill Blake:
"The Baylis High School building was constructed in 1921 and opened for classes in September, 1922. When it opened
it housed a 3-year high school as well as 8 elementary grades. The high school occupied the 2nd floor and the elementary
grades on the lower level. The school was called Hi-Point, so named because Baylis was considered the highest point
between the Illinois and Mississippi rivers. The building was constructed of beautiful red brick and had a great, wide stairway
to the second floor with wide railings perfect for sliding down if no teachers were watching. There was a huge well
kept front lawn that was not to be walked on by anyone. A playground occupied one side of the building and there were
several acres of land behind the building used for parking, track events, and ball games.
The high school was disbanded in 1948 when it was consolidated into Pittsfield Unit #10. All high school students have
attended Pittsfield High School since then. The grade school continued in the building until 1979 when those students
also started attending school in Pittsfield."