The History of Rockport High School
Rockport (population approximately 150) is located in lower-western Illinios in the west-central portion
of Pike County. Illinios Route 96 is the main roadway leading to and from Rockport. U.S. Route 54 runs
about two miles south of town. A large town of note in the area would include Quincy, about 25 miles northwest of Rockport.
The Mississippi River flows about two miles west of Rockport as well. The town is laid out in about a four block square area.
The history of Rockport is needed. We could find very little information on the town of Rockport
and its former high school on the internet. The photos on this page were located on the Illinois Geneology Trails web
address of http://genealogytrails.com/ill/pike/schoolrockport.html . This small piece of written information states that the building at the top of this page served
as the high school and grade school from the early 1870s until it was destroyed by fire in 1938. A new building
was erected and served as the high school and grade school until it closed.
Rockport High School was a three-year school, at least that is what we discovered on one article we found.
It stated that in the 1938-39 school year the school had 30 students.
The Rockport school building built in the 1940s still stands. A part of the building is
used as the town's post office. The kids of Rockport now attend school as part of the Pittsfield school district.
Rockport High School Quick Facts
Year opened: early
Year closed: late
Consolidated to: Pittsfield
Rockport HS nickname: unavailable
Rockport HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable