The History of St. George High School
St. George is a rural area northeast of Kankakee in Kankakee County, about eight miles
away from the county seat. It is located near County Roads 5000 East and 5000 North. Other communities nearby include
Bradley, Bourbonnais, and Manteno, which are all to the west of St. George.
St. George High School was opened as co-ed public school in the fall of 1913
by the Sisters of St. Joseph in Concordia, Kansas. The school started operating in the sisters' convent as a one-year school,
and later became a two-year institution in 1922. A third year was added in 1929, and a fourth year was offered starting in
St. George was not able to become accredited as a educational institution due to the lack of students
and teachers at the school. It was decided to close the school in the spring of 1948 when other schools in Kankakee County
were consolidating. Today's students from St. George attend grade school in the farm community, but go to Bradley-Bourbonnais
High School for their diplomas.