The History of Coleta High School
(population 100) is located 10 miles northwest of Sterling, as the crow flies, at the intersection of Pilgrim and Coleta roads
in northern Whiteside County in Northern Illinois. It is about five miles south of Milledgeville as well.
“In the year 1920 the first high school class was held in the hall and cloak room of the Coleta
school. Teacher was the late Roy Hurless. Fifteen students enrolled. In 1921 through 1924 the High School classes were held
in the tenant house of the late Cyrus Bushman on South West Main Street now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Delbert Van Dusen. Teachers
were Roy Hurless, Eskel Anderson, Victor Jacobson, and Myrtle (Jacobson) Bushman. The fourth year of the student-term was
finished at the Milledgeville or Sterling High School.”
Costs and enrollment are believed to have made the high school curriculum cease in 1924. The building remained
as a K-8 school until a new consoldated school was built on the south side of town. Read more about this school on the Country Schools of Whiteside County page.