The History of Wataga Sparta Township High School
Wataga is a community of 857 residents located on US. Route 34 and Il. Route 167 approximately 10 miles
northeast of Galesburg in Knox County. The AT & ST Railroad runs through the center of town.
The origin of the school and the town is being requested from a citizen or a history buff of the area.We did receive this bit of information from an anonymous source (to whom we are thankful) :
Wataga High School actually closed in the 1940s, around the same time as the R.O.V.A. District was formed.
The residents of Wataga at the time chose to send their students to the Galesburg school system. However Wataga maintained
control of its grade school. In the mid-1980s the residents of Wataga chose to detach from the Galesburg school system. The children
of Wataga were accepted into the R.O.V.A. school district in 1987, effectively putting the "W" in R.O.W.V.A.
Wataga joined the 1948 consolidation of the high schools from Rio, Oneida, Victoria, and Altona. All five of these schools are now listed on this site.
The grade school in Wataga served as home to "ROWVA West Grade School" until the end of the 2009-10
From Sharon Karpinski:
"According to the Galesburg Register-Mail, this building was constructed in 1888! ROWVA Consolidated
School District, faced with a million dollar budget shortfall and extensive boiler and roof repairs needed at Wataga,
has decided to close this school."
Wataga High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1888
Year closed: 1949
Consolidated to: Galesburg School District (Joined ROWVA in 1987)
School nickname: the "Spartans"
School colors: Blue & White
School Fight Song: "Wataga Loyalty Song"
(Provided by Roger Scriven)