Macedonia (population 51) is located on the Hamilton-Franklin County line, midway
between McLeansboro and Benton. Modern-day Macedonia consists of the crossroads of two county roads, with one "loop"
street, known as Benton Street. The 2000 census states that there were 17 households
remaining in Macedonia. The Big Muddy River runs one mile to the north
of the village.
The following information is from the Hamilton and Franklin County "Rootsweb" sites,
and from the book "Hamilton County - 175 years of History". Thanks to Mr.
Joel Lasswell for transcribing a long section of that book regarding Macedonia.
Macedonia was platted in the 1858,
but was not incorporated until 1894. The Johnson, Vise and Fisher families were prominent early settlers.
The village flourished for a number of years; Macedonia in 1910 is described as bustling village of 400, situated on
a hill with a beautiful view of the countryside. The H.C. Vise Mercantile occupied three 2-story buildings (which included
a funeral parlor), and the local grist mill produced "Snowflake"
brand flour. The Vise family also operated the Bank of Macedonia.
What happened to Macedonia?
During the farm depression of the late 20's and '30's, many marginal farms in southern Illinois were simply abandoned.
The small flour mills and blacksmith shops that were tied to the horse-farmers soon disappeared too, as did the stores and
other businesses. Many towns that did not have a rail line, such as Macedonia, became virtual ghost towns.
Macedonia had a 3-year high school from 1928 to 1936.
Under the rules of the time, any elementary district which was not included in an established high school district could operate
a high school of 3 years or less, and draw state elementary funds to pay for at least part of the program. Many small
rural villages, particularly in the southern half of the state, took advantage
A number of laws were changed in 1940's, resulting in the
virtual elimination of 2 and 3-year high schools by 1948. In Macedonia, most of the high school classes were held in
the IOOF Hall on Benton Street. It is not known if this building is still standing. A nearby blacksmith shop was also converted for use as a gymnasium. A total of 194 students
attended Macedonia High during it's short existence. Macedonia maintained a grade school until 1946, when it and 10
other rural districts consolidated into the old Ewing College facility nearby.
Macedonia High School
Year closed: 1936
Consolidated to: McLeansboro
Macedonia HS team nickname:
Macedonia HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: