The History of Breese St. Dominic Catholic High School
Breese (population 4,048) is located in far southwestern Illinois about 30 miles east of East St. Louis.
Breese is located in the west-central portion of Clinton County. Old U.S. Route 50 passes through the center of town
while the New U.S. Route 50 passes through the north side of Breese. CSX Transportaion Railroad navigates its way
through the south side of Breese.
The town is named after Sidney Breese, a senator under president
Abraham Lincoln. The town of Breese was founded in 1855. To view a more in-depth history of
the town and area please check out http://www.breese.org/History.htm
Breese St. Dominic Catholic Church traces its roots back to the very early days of the town's
existence. St. Dominic Catholic Church was established in the mid 1800s. A school for the children of the area
was constructed by St. Dominic parish in 1861. High school courses were likely offered at the school by the late
1800s. We know that the original school was replaced by a new school building in 1901.
According to an informational sheet on the current Breese Mater Dei High School, Breese St. Dominic
High School and Carlyle St. Mary's High School chose to join forces in 1954 (http://www.materdei.breese.il.us/MD%20Letter.pdf). Both high schools closed and opened a new catholic high school for the area named Mater Dei. Mater Dei High
School has continued to offer a catholic education for high school-aged kids of the area ever since this merger
St. Dominic Parish continues to provide grade school courses in Breese for children in grades 1 - 8.
The classes may be held in the former St. Dominic High School building.
Breese St. Dominic Catholic High School Quick Facts
Year "new" building built:
Year closed: 1954
Mater Dei High School (Breese)
St. Dominic team nickname: the "Panthers"
Team uniform colors:
St. Dominic HS school fight song: unavailable