The History of Huntsville High School
Huntsville (population approximately 100) is located in western Illinois in the west-central portion of
Schuyler County. Huntsville sits in a true country setting at the crossroads of the County Roadways known
as Huntsville Road, Augusta Road, and Shiloh Church Road. The town is about three blocks long and three blocks wide.
Huntsville is positioned about 15 miles southwest of Macomb.
According to the Rootwsweb website address of http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilschuyl/Huntsville.html, the town of Huntsville was platted in 1835 and named after the city of the same (and original) name in
Alabama. The folks of Huntsville had great plans for their community to grow and prosper. By the late 1800s the
town's population had reached about 300 people.
A log cabin school house was built in 1836. Huntsville had a two-story school building in the
early 1900s. We believe that Huntsville school began offering high school curriculum in the early 1900s. We
now that as late as 1941 Huntsville had an active high school, though probably never offering more than a three-year education.
According to the article referred to above, in 1948 Huntsville had only a 1st - 6th grade facility after
having consolidated with nearby Augusta. The article also states that Huntsville's population at that time (1948)
was approximately 100 people.
Our only guess is that Huntsville High School likely closed in the mid-1940s, around 1947. We know
that Huntsville had a high school in 1941 from information we have recieved from a Camden High School yearbook of the same
year. It lists two basketball games having been played between Camden and Huntsville high schools. The
fate of the Huntsville High School building is being sought.
Huntsville High School Quick Facts
late 1800s / early 1900s
Consolidated to: Augusta
Southeastern School District
Huntsville HS team nickname: unavailable
Huntsville HS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: