The History of Burlington High School
Burlington (population 452) is located in northeastern Illinois in the northwestern area of Kane County.
Burlington is located on Plank Road about 3 miles west of Illinois Route 47 and 1 1/2 miles south of Illinois Route
72. The Chicago, Central, & Pacific Railroad passes through Burlington as well. The area around
Burlington is QUICKLY losing its once solely country setting as Chicago suburbia now surrounds the area.
A history of Burlington Township and the city of Burlington can be viewed on the web page at http://genealogytrails.com/ill/kane/burlington.html. It is likely Burlington residents began a high school for the children in their area by the early 1900s. Burlington
High School existed on a solo basis through at least the late 1940s. It is probable that in the early 1950s the folks
of Burlington and Plato Center, as well as many smaller country school districts in the area, agreed to consolidate their efforts. The Central School District
was eventually established.
Central High School is located in Burlington. A web site with photos of the district's school
buildings can be viewed at
Burlington High School Quick Facts
Year consolidated: early
Consolidated to: Central
High School (Burlington)
Burlington HS team nickname: the "Zephyrs"
Burlington HS team colors: Red & Black
School Fight Song: unavailable
1936 Board of Education
Floyd L. Schairer - President
William J. Peploe - Secretary
Walter W. Seyller
William Van Dusen
Leroy W. Thompson - Architect
Gust W. Nelson - General Contractor
Mueller Bros. - Mason Contractor
Ironside - Heating Contractor
Clifford Smith - Plumbing Contractor