The History of Hudson High School
Hudson (population 1,623 as of 2004) is located in northern
McLean County in the central part of the state, situated seven miles north of Bloomington-Normal along Interstate 39. The
Six Mile Creek flows just to the south and west of the village near the Mackinaw River.
The community was first settled in 1829 by Jesse Havens, whose name is remembered by the grove along Six
Mile Creek. Hudson was a colony of New Yorkers from Hudson, NY that settled in the area in 1836. Both the Bloomington-Ottawa
Trail as well as the Illinois Central Railroad helped shape the village, with the latter coming in 1854.
Education was started in 1838 with a one-room school, which was replaced by a two-story building in 1875,
then another building came along in 1906...only to be destroyed by fire in 1914. The village built a new school quickly and
occupied it in a short time.
High school education was first offered in Hudson for ninth and tenth graders beginning in 1907 with the
addition of two teachers to the faculty for the sole purpose of instructing those post-grade students. A third year was planned
to be added after 1934, but the plan was shelved and the high school was discontinued in 1936. High schoolers went to
finish their secondary education at area schools such as El Paso, Normal, or Towanda before Normal Community High School decided to add Hudson students to their district. The grade school
board decided to join Normal Unit 5 in 1948 to set the stage as to how education is handled today in Hudson.
The current grade school building (see picture below) was begun in 1953 and continued in stages
thru the 1970's. Today, students in kindergarten thru fifth that are in the current building, while sixth, seventh and eighth
graders attend Normal Parkside Junior High School, and high schoolers are at Normal Community West High School.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT HUDSON HIGH SCHOOL
Students now attend: Normal Community West High School
School nickname: unknown