The History of Crescent City High School
Crescent City (population 631) is located in upper-eastern Illinois in the center of Iroquois County. Crescent
City sits about 20 miles south of Kankakee. U.S. Route 24 intersects with Illnois Route 49 on the city's southwest
side. An unnamed creek flows through the west side of town. The Toledo, Peoria, & Western Railroad follows
U.S. Route 24 and travels through Crescent City from east to west.
Crescent City was incorporated in 1885. In 1870 a grade school was established. This frame structure
was replaced by a brick structure in 1898. It was not until 1918 that high school curriculum began being offered in
Crescent City. That year a two-year course of study began. In 1920 Crescent City High School became a three-year
high school. Crescent City High School continued in this manner until 1940 when it was established as a four-year high
school. We believe the name of the school was then changed from Crescent City High School to Crescent-Iroquois High School.
In the spring of 2009 the town of Crescent City watched as its last class of high school students graduated
from Crescent-Iroquois High School. The grade school in town, however, remains intact.
Crescent City High School Quick Facts
Year opened, 2-year HS: 1918
Year became 3-year HS:
Year became 4-year HS: 1940
Crescent City HS team nickname: "Golden Eagles"
Crescent City HS team colors: Purple, Gold, and White
School Fight Song: