The History of Carrollton St. John's High School
Carrollton (population 2,605) is located in lower-western Illinois about 35 miles north of St. Louis and
30 miles southwest of Jacksonville. Carrollton is the county seat of Greene County and is located in the central-southeastern
portion of the county. U.S. Route 67 is the main roadway through town and is intersected by Illinois Route 108.
The Coates Creek flows through the northwest side of town while the Lick Branch of the Macoupin Creek flows through the southeast
side of town. The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad travels through Carrollton as well.
According to the website address of http://www.c-hawks.org/1catlas04/ Carrollton was established in the early 1800s and officially incorporated in 1849. A courthouse
was established in 1859. A newspaper article submitted by Mark Caselton had this information to provide regarding
the St. John's School history:
"St. John's parochial school was started in 1877, very near the beginning of Rev.
A.J. Sauer's pastorate of St. John's Catholic Church. It was housed in a one-story frame school building
on the north side of South Main Street, nearly opposite of the present two-story brick building, which was erected in
1904, during the pastorate of Rev. J.J. Driscoll. It continued for a number of years teaching
only the elementary branches, and many of its pupils entered and graduated from the Carrollton High School. From the
start the school was taught by Dominican Sisters. Enrollment in 1898 was 85.
The school building had been planned with a view to the ultimate establishment of a high school,
and the plan was accomplished in 1922, during the pastorate of Rev. Thomas E. Cusack.
The frame building for the Dominican Sisters adjoining the church on the south, built in 1881,
was removed in 1922, and a larger and more modern home for the instructors was erected east of the school building.
The first graduating class, composed oif eight boys and eight girls, received diplomas at the
commencement exercises June 1, 1926.
Enrollment September of 1937 in the high school was 58 students with grades 1 - 8 having 115
Mark Caselton tells us that a new grade school with eight class rooms and gymnasium
was built in 1968. The original high school building has been razed.
Carrollton St. John's High School Quick Facts
Year grade school opened: 1877
Year high school opened:
First graduating class:
Year closed: 1956
St. John's HS team nickname: the "Flying Dutchmen""
St. John's HS team colors: Maroon
School Fight Song: none