History of Littleton School
"The village of Littleton is located in Schuyler County, which was organized in 1825 and named for General Schuyler
of the Revolutionary War. One of the first pioneer settlers to come to Littleton Township was David Turner
in 1835, and he built his cabin on the N.E. quarter of Section 27. In 1849 Leonidas Horney platted the village
of Littleton which was named for James Little.
Thomas Bronaugh taught the first school in Littleton in the summer of 1835 in an old deserted log cabin
on the S. W. quarter of Section 21. The first actual building erected as a schoolhouse was built in 1838
The first building erected for school purposes was built in 1838 on the S. W. quarter of Section 19. Samuel Horney
was the first teacher in this building.
The Village of Littleton erected its first school building 1849 and replaced it with a two story brick building in 1856.
On October 26, 1856, this building was destroyed by a destructive tornado. To replace it, a two- room frame building was erected
on the site.
In 1907, a four room, two-story, building of concrete block construction was built to replace the old frame building. A
gymnasium was added to the south of this building in 1939. A cafeteria and kitchen was added to the west of the gym in 1949.
The Walker School which was originally located northwest of Littleton on the Neeley farm was moved in 1950 and placed to the
north of the two-story building.
Littleton High School was discontinued in 1947. From 1948-1967, the Littleton School served as an elementary school with
grades 1-8. From the fall of 1967-1983, it continued as an elementary school serving grades 1-6 with a kindergarten class
being added in 1969.
On June 21, 1981, a tornado tore through the Village of Littleton destroying many homes, the Methodist Church, and the
two-story school building, but leaving the gymnasium intact. Two portable buildings were brought in and school resumed in
the fall. However, after using the portable buildings for two years, the school board voted to close the school at the end
of the 1983 school year. The township took over the gymnasium and cafeteria, which is now used as the Littleton Community
Every two years there is a community picnic and a school reunion held at the shelter house and park on the former school
grounds with the next homecoming/reunion scheduled for August 4, 2012 with a potluck meal at noon."