The History of St. Jacob High School
St. Jacob (population 801) is located in the southwest portion of Illinois about 20 miles northeast of East
St. Louis. St. Jacob was platted in the southeastern portion of Madison County. U.S. Route 40 is the main roadway leading
to and from town. The Conrail Railroad runs parallel to Route 40 through the northside of town.
The history of the town and the beginning of its school system are in need of research. It is
probable that St. Jacob townspeople established a school in their town by the late 1800s. A high school was certainly
in place by the early 1900s. St. Jacob High School served the tohe children of the area nicely thought the
early 1950s. It was at that time that the neighboring towns of St. Jacob, Marine, and Troy began working on a consolidation
effort. It was in 1954 that this effort became a reality. The result was the creation of the Triad School District.
Check out the Triad School District website at http://www.triad.madison.k12.il.us/.
The high school was located in Troy. A grade school was located in St. Jacob and was later reduced
to its current PK - 5 status just recently. The former high school building, pictured above, is meeting a sad fate.
The building will be demolished this year to make room for a newer elementary school building. (Thank
you to Tony Evanoff for this information.)
St. Jacob High School Quick Facts
Year opened: early
Year closed: 1954
Consolidated to: Triad
School District (Troy)
St. Jacob HS team nickname: unavailable
SJHS team colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: