The History of Kempton-Cabery High School
Cabery (population 263) is located in the east-northeastern portion of Illinois.
Cabery is unique in that it lies in two counties, Kankakee and Ford. Illinois Route 115 will take you to and from Cabery,
and crosses paths with County Road E 4100 North in Cabery. The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad lays its tracks through
town. The Crane Creek flows by the southeast side of town. A larger town near Cabery is Kankakee, which is 15 miles
northeast of Cabery.
Kempton (population 235) is located in upper-eastern Illinois. The town was platted
in the northwestern panhandle of Ford County. The town is about 20 miles southwest of Kankakee. The main road through
town is County Road 3700 North, which connects Kempton to Illinois Route 115 one and a half miles to the west. A
branch of the Kelly Creek flows to the south side of town. The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad travels through the heart
of Kempton and was instrumental in its early growth.
Both towns supported their own high schools for several years. We are in need of assistance as
to when the exact date that the school districts of Kempton and Cabery merged. We believe this occurred in the late 1950's to early 1960's. The new district, the Kempton-Cabery
School District, served both communities for several more years, until 1968 when Kempton-Cabery merged with their
neighbor to the south, Cullom, to create the Tri-Point School District. The Tri-Point School sytem has since welcomed Piper City in 1992 as well.
The high school for the Tri-Point District landed in Cullom. The town of Kempton still houses a PK-3
grade school. Barry L. Williams tells us that the Kempton-Cabery High School building still
stands and is in use as a Junior High School.
Kempton-Cabery High School Quick Facts
Year Kempton-Cabery HS opened: late 1940's
Year Kempton-Cabery closed: 1969
Consolidated to: Tri-Point
School District (Cullom)
Kempton-Cabery HS team nickname: the "Komanches"
KCHS team colors:
Red, Black, & White
School Fight Song: unavailable