The History of Brocton-Redmon High School
Brocton (population 322) is located in lower-eastern Illinois about 20 miles northeast
of Charleston, home of Eastern Illinois University. The road leading to and from Brocton is Illinois Route 49.
County Road 8 also leads to Brocton. The Norfolk & Western Railroad travels through town as does the Hog
Branch of the Embarrass River. Brocton sits quietly in west-central Edgar County.
Redmon (population 199) is located in the east-southeastern portion of Illinois.
The town is approximately 60 miles east of Decatur on Il. Route 133. The town is in the west central
portion of Edgar County, about 16 miles west of the Indiana/Illinois state line. The Prairie Central Railroad runs through
the middle of town and the north branch of the Hickory Grove Creek runs along the northern and eastern edges of town.
These two towns supported their own high schools until the consolidation effort of the 1940s came
about. In 1952 the school districts of Brocton and Redmon agreed to pol their educational resources to create the
Brocton-Redmon School District.
Brocton-Redmon High School, we believe, was located in the original Brocton High School building.
Brocton-Redmon HS served the commmunites for 20 years until a second consolidation movement swept the area in the
late 1960s. Brocton-Redmon High School combined with Young America High School in Metcalf and, along with the town
of Hume, created the Shiloh School District in 1968. The high school was erected and remains near the
town of Hume.
The Brocton-Redmon school building is no longer used as a school. Our good friend Sue
Sallee advises us the school building has been converted to an apartment building and maintains a useful purpose
for the town of Brocton.
Brocton-Redmon High School Quick Facts
Consolidated to: Shiloh
School District (Hume)
Brocton-Redmon team nickname: the "Blackhawks"
BRHS team colors:
Black & Gold
School Fight Song: