The History of Ava High School
Ava (population 662) is located in far southwestern Illinois about 15 miles southwest of DuQuoin.
The Illinois Routes 4 and 151 intersect in this northwestern Jackson County town. The Spring Creek flows through Ava
and the illinois Central Gulf Railroad has a branch line that reaches the western edge of town.
The history of Ava and its school system are in need of research. We are certain that Ava had at least
a grade school in effect by the late 1800s. We are also certain that high school curriculum was introduced by
the late 1800s or at least early 1900s. Ava High School served the students and townspeople of Ava for about 5 decades.
It was in the late 1940s, we believe, that consolidation talks began between several schools in the Ava area began.
The talks resulted in the creation of the Trico School District. We estimate this consolidation effort took place between
1948 and 1953. The high school for the new district is located in Campbell Hill. We are not certain if the Ava
School served in any capacity as a school after the consolidation effort took place. We do know that there currently
is no school being held in Ava.
The fate of the original Ava High School building is being sought as well. If you have information
on the history of Ava High School, especially a photo of the high school building, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ava High School Quick Facts
late 1800s / early 1900s
Year closed: between
1948 and 1953
Trico School District (Campbell Hill)
Ava HS team nickname:
Ava HS team colors:
School Fight Song: unavailable