The History of Stewardson High School
Stewardson (population 747) is located in lower-eastern Illinois in the southeastern portion of Shelby County.
Illinois Route 32 is the main road leading to and from Stewardson. A town of note in the area for location sake is Effingham
located about 10 miles south and a little east of Stewardson. The Norfolk & Western Railroad travels
through Stewardson. The Wolf Creek flows just to the southeast of town.
Brad Friese provided the following bit of history on Stewardson High School:
"First Stewardson High School was organized as a two-year high school, 1898-1899. The two story brick
building in photo was built in 1909. The high school became a three-year school 1911-12. In 1925, an addition,
including a new gymnasium, was added to the two story brick school and became a four-year high school, 1925-1926. The
last Stewardson High School class was the class of 1949-50. The building was used as the grade school (1-6 grades)
until the spring of 1969. It was purchased by the village and became the Civic Center. It was used in that capacity
until it was finally demolished in 1980."
It was in the late 1940s that consolidation talks began between Stewardson and its neighbor
to the north, Strasburg. The effort became a reality in the spring of 1950 with the creation of the Stewardson-Strasburg School District.
Stewardson High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1898
Year closed: 1950
Stewardson-Strasburg School District
Stewardson HS team nickname: the "Tigers"
Stewardson HS team colors: Orange
School Fight Song: "Cheer,
Cheer For Old Stewardson High"
Sung to the tune of "Notre Dame Victory March"
Cheer for Stewardson High,
up the echoes, Cheering her name,
Send a loyal
cheer on high,
out the thunder from the sky.
though the odds be great or small,
High will win over all.
her loyal sons are marching