The History of Chicago Quigley South High School
Chicago (population 2.7 million) is located in far northeastern Illinois in the center
of Cook County. I don't think we need directions or an explanation about this "town's" history, location, and incredible
growth. Chicago is famous for many different reasons and was a great influence on the growth of the United States
in the early 1800s. It is, today, the third largest city in the United States and Illinois' largest city.
Chicago has a very storied past with its diverse ethnic and religious population. The Catholic
religion and establishment of a Catholic education has had a strong influence in Chicago neighborhoods almost from the
time Chicago was settled in the very early 1800s.
Archbishop James E. Quigley was one of the early pioneers who recognized the need for a
high quality education with a religious basis. Archbishop Quigley established a school for
high school boys in 1905. Archbishop Quigley died in 1915; however, his dream of a high school
in Chicago lived on.
In 1916 a high school building was erected in what is now downtown Chicago at Rush Street and Pearson
Street. The school truly flourished until it reached a peak of 1300 students for the four high school grades in the mid
As Chicago expanded greatly, it was decided to serve the students on the south side of Chicago as well as
those on the north side. Hence, Quigley South High School was built on Chicago's southside on Western Avenue at
77th Street. The Quigley High School building which remained at the same location downtown was now called Quigley North
High School. Much of this information was found on the Quigley Preparatory Seminary website at www.quigley.org.
The enrollment at both Quigley schools began to steadily decrease in the 1970s. By
the mid 1980s, several changes began taking place with the Catholic Church and its school system. The decreasing enrollment
and changes taking place led to the reorganization of the Quigley Schools. Quigley South and Quigley North were merged
back into one school in 1990 and the school renamed Quigley Preparatory Seminary. The students would now attend
school back at the downtown school location.
The Quigley South High School building was sold and eventually became the home of St. Rita High School. It
is used in that capacity today.
Quigley South High School Quick Facts
Year closed: 1990
Consolidated to: Quigley Preparatory Seminary
High School (Chicago)
Quigley South HS team nickname: the "Spartans"
Quigley South HS team colors: Blue
School Fight Song: unavailable