However, an addition was started in 1940 and completed in 1941, which included a gymnasium-auditorium, two classroom,
stage and dressing rooms. This brought the physical plant up to its present state.
The enrollment for the first year of the Community High School
is not known, but the graduates numbered five. Through the years, the student
body increased and in 1936 the commercial department was added. The enrollment
reached its peak in 1942 with eighty nine students. The largest graduating class
was in 1944 with twenty two.
The campus was plain in its early years. By senior class gifts and school
purchases, the campus has been beautified and landscaped. One of the largest
projects carried on in one year was done by the senior class of 1937, and included the planting of evergreens and shrubs. Our visitors always comment favorably on the beauty of our campus. Some have said, “as beautiful as any in the state.”
(**The above information was printed in the 1950 year book.)
Vergennes High School served the residents of the town for at
least four decades. We believe it was in the late 1950s and early 1960s that consolidation talks began between
Vergennes and nearby Elkville. We believe the effort was finalized in 1962 with the creation of the Elverado School District.
The high school for the new district was located in Elkville. Vergennes residents maintained
a grade school in their town which serves the Elverado District today for grades K - 5. We are not certain if the grade
school is held in the old Vergennes HS building or even if the VHS building still exists. Please e-mail us if you
have this information.
Vergennes High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1921
Year closed: 1962
Consolidated to: Elverado
School District (Elkville)
Vergennes HS team nickname: the "Tigers"
School team colors: Maroon
School Fight Song: unavailable