The History of Chestnut High School
Chestnut (population approximately 300) is located in central Illinois in the lower eastern portion of Logan
County. Illinois Route 54 is the main roadway leading to and from Chestnut. The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad runs through
town as well. The Salt Creek flows just to the west of Chestnut. The city of Lincoln is located about 15 miles
to the northwest.
The history of Chestnut and its former high school is being sought. According to http://www.rootsweb.com/~illogan/Chestnut.htm, Chestnut is named after a railroad executive of the same name when it was platted in 1872. We believe that
Chestnut residents began an educational process for their children in the mid- to late-1800's. It is probable
that a high school was in place by the late 1800's to early 1900's.
Chestnut High School served its children for several decades. At some point talks were begun to close
Chestnut High School and join forces with nearby Mt. Pulaski High School. We believe this effort became a reality
in the early 1950s. Chestnut High School was closed and students began attending classes in Mt. Pulaski.
This arrangement continues today. There is no school currently operational in Chestnut. The original
Chestnut High School building was razed many years ago. A machine shop building now stands where the former HS
building once stood. It is thought that the Chestnut.school was operational as a grade school through the 1970's.
Chestnut High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late
Year closed: 1950's/1960's
Annexed to: Mt.
Pulaski School District
Chestnut HS team nickname: the "Wildcats"
Team colors: Yellow
School Fight Song: unavailable