The History of Percy High School
Percy (population 942) is located in southwestern Illinois in the eastern portion of Randolph County. The
town sits on Illinois Route 4 about 50 miles southeast of East St. Louis. Two railroad lines, the Illinois Central
Gulf and the Missouri Pacific, intersect in Percy. A branch of the North Fork of the Cox Creek flows to the west of
According to http://www.randolphcountyillinois.net/sub79.htm the area of Percy was first settled in 1819 and was first called Short's Prairie after the family who lived there. As
the railroads eventually came so did the population rise. Mining was the principle source of employment. Plans
were made to incorporate the town in the 1880s with the plans being finalized in 1887. The town name of Percy was taken
either from the superintendant of the nearby coal mine, Percy Kampen, or it was the name of the engineer of the first train
to travel through town. One famous landmark that still stands in Percy is the Hahn House. Built in 1875 it is well-kept
even today and is said to have things that go "bump" in the night among those who live there.
Education would be a concern of the early settlers of Percy. A high school would probably have
been established in Percy in the late 1800s or early 1900s. In the early 1940s consolidation talks began with
nearby Willisville. This effort became a reality in either 1946 or 1947 with the creation of the Willisville-Percy
School District. Willisville-Percy lasted for a short while before another consolidation effort was realized with
several area communities. This resulted in the creation of the Trico School DIstrict which is located in a country
setting near Campbell Hill.
Percy High School Quick Facts
late 1800s / early 1900s
Year consolicated with Willisville: 1946 or 1947
Willisville-Percy School District
Percy School team nickname: "Blackhawks"?
Percy team colors:
Red, Black, & White
School Fight Song: