The History of Camargo School
Camargo (population 469) is located in east-central Illinois about 25 miles south-southeast of Champaign.
It is the earliest settlement of Douglas County and was nearly named the county seat, losing out to Tuscola in the 1850s. According
to www.mapquest.com , U.S. Route 36 runs east and west through town and intersects with the north and south running roadway Illinois
Route 130 in Camargo. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad runs parallel to U.S. Route 36. The Embarrass
flows to the west of town with a branch also flowing to the south of town.
"The original town of Camargo was laid off in November, 1836, by Isaac Moss, being surveyed by Joseph Fowler,
and was called “New Salem.” Mr. Moss made an addition in 1840; the name was then changed to “New Albany,”
the voting precinct being known by the name of Albany, and finally, when, upon the suggestion of J. B. McCown, the name of
the precinct was changed to Camargo, the village accepted the same name. It is the most ancient village in the county, antedating
Tuscola, Arcola and Newman, and even time-honored “Bourbon,” which was laid off in 1853. Camargo, with her 1836
record, leading Bourbon by seventeen years. This village in the long years preceding the advent of the east and west railroad,
languished and was long considered finished; the final completion of the road, however, gave it somewhat of an impetus, that
may end in some distinction, it being the place of residence of some of the leading men of the county, and the starting point
of several of its most successful business men. The town proper comprises an area of about eighty acres..."
Schooling in the area of Camargo began almost immediately upon its settlement. The school probably
served Camargo through the 1948 school year. According to the Villa Grove School District website page found at http://www.vg302.org/education/school/schoolhistory.php?sectiondetailid=16&sc_id=1135532128 , several area schools including that of Camargo consolidated to form one school district in 1948. The high school
was located in Villa Grove (four miles to the north) with a grade school remaining open in Camargo. In 1967 it
was voted to close the Camargo Grade School with all students now bused to Villa Grove to attend school.
The photos on this page were taken by our own Richard Soseman in December of 2005.
As you can see in the photo below, the brick building has been covered by aluminum siding.
Camargo School Quick Facts
Villa Grove School District
Camargo team nickname: unavailable
School Fight Song: