The History of Metcalf High School
Metcalf (population 213) is located in eastern Illinois in north-central Edgar County. Metcalf
is about 25 miles southwest of Danville and 35 miles southeast of Champaign. U.S. Route 36 runs just south of Metcalf
and is connected to it via County Road 6. Metcalf was probably established as a railroad town in its early history as
the Baltimore & Ohio and Norfolk & Western Railroads intersect in town. According to MapQuest (www.mapquest.com) Metcalf is 7 blocks long to the north and south and 3 blocks wide to the east and west.
The history of Metcalf and its school system are in need of research. It must have a very storied
history as Richard Soseman advises there are a lot of older, beautiful homes in town. We
believe schooling was made available for the children of Metcalf in the late 1800s. The only remnants of a school building
we found was the memorial stone pictured above. This would seem to indicate that a modern brick building was built in
the year 1921. Metcalf High School served the town of Metcalf for over 40 years.
In 1949 the area was effected by the consolidation effort which was pushed throughout the state. This
effort resulted in the closing of all of the country schools in the area and the students being bused to Metcalf for school.
Nearby Hume High School also closed and joined the consolidation effort. Metcalf High School was then formally renamed
Metcalf Young America High School as the township in which Metcalf sits is known as Young America Township.
Helen Rhode McNeese (Class of 1947) sent us this information about her beloved Metcalf
"Construction of the Metcalf High School building began in 1921 and was opened for use in 1922.
The last graduating class of Metcalf High School was the Class of 1949, due to a consoidation with Hume, Illinois. In the
fall of 1949 the school name was changed to Young America High School. The Class of 1968 was the last class to
graduate from Young America High School. Yet another Consolidation took place and a new K-12 facility was built
near Hume, joining the towns of Metcalf, Hume, Brocton, and Redmon.
In 1969 the Metcalf building was purchased and used as a Shelter Care. The Shelter
Care was discontinued in 1979. Then, in April of 1980, the buildfing was destroyed by fire.
The sun dial that had been in the lawn of the high school since it began, was purchased by
the Class of 1932 and moved to Mecalf Park. The cornerstones from the Metcalf Grade School and the old High School were
placed in Metcalf Park as well."
Metcalf High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late
Year brick building built:
Year consolidated to "Young America" HS: 1949
Year Young America closed:
Fate of Metcalf School building:
Metcalf HS team nickname:
Maroon & Silver (possibly Red & White)
School Fight Song: "On
Metcalf High School"
to "On Wisconsin"
On Metcalf High School,
On Metcalf High School,
your banner high!
Throw the ball into the basket
you can please try!
Rah Rah Rah!!
On Metcalf High School
Metcalf High School
on for her Fame
fellows, FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
We'll win this game!!
Second Fight Song Sung to the Notre Dame University FIght Song Tune:
Click play button below, slide status bar half way across the line, and sing along!
Cheer for Old Metcalf High,
Sing ye her praises, up to the sky.
All her friends come gather round,
Give her a cheer that will shake the ground!
Metcalf High has need of us all,
Come show your love and answer the call!
While her loyal sons go marching
Onward to victory!!