The History of Alden High School, District 92
Alden, Illinois (population 1,534) is located along Ill. Rt. 173 five miles west of Hebron and six miles east
of Harvard in McHenry County in Northeast Illinois. Alden Road runs through the town going north-south.
The town of Alden started a high school district in 1921 after consolidating the country schools in the vicinity.
This district was #92. The first graduating class of 1922 consisted of four students: Bessie Carbrey, Margret Disbrow,
Forence Seefeldt and Darlene Erle. High school was offered in Alden until the late 1940s when
consolidation talks began with Hebron. This effort was final in 1948. The last graduating class of 1949 from AHS included Ethel Burow, Elaine Coats, John
Faber, Edward Huffer, Irene Schuld, Joan Staab, Myrtle Uhlig, Edward Van Hoozen, and Martha and
Wilbur Wirsema. Twenty-six other students were sent to Alden-Hebron High School.
Further history of the Alden School District was provided from a book titled "McHenry County, Illinois---1832
- 1968". This article, submitted by Bruce Van Hoozen, states the following regarding Alden High School:
"For 27 years, from 1921 to 1948, Alden Township had its own high school in Alden village. The high school
was located on the top floor of Alden School, on Route 173. Since consolidation with Hebron, students have been transported
there for high school.