The History of Ashkum High School
Ashkum (population 724) is located in upper-eastern Illinois about 17 miles southwest of Kankakee. This
places Ashkum in the northwestern portion of Iroquois County. Interstate Highway 57 runs by the west side of town. Illinois
Route 116 leads you from Ashkum to the west while U.S. Route 45 comes into Ashkum from the north and travels through
to the south. The Illinois Central Gulf Railroad also runs through Ashkum and a branch of the Prairie Creek flows through
the south end of town.
Ashkum's town and educational history are in need of research. Ashkum probably started an educational
process for its children in the late 1800s. The townspeople supported their own high school through the
1930s. It was in the late 1930s that the people of Ashkum and Clifton began consolidation talks. These talks became
a reality after the 1940 school year with the creation of the Ashkum-Clifton School District. The high school for
the new district was located in Clifton. Ashkum maintained a grade school for the new district.
The Ashkum-Clifton School District was joined by Chebanse in 1950 to create the Clifton Central
School District. This ended the run of Ashkum-Clifton High School as well.
Ashkum High School Quick Facts
Year consolidated with Clifton: 1940
School colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable