The History of Albany High School
Albany (population 895) is located along the mighty Mississippi River in Whiteside County on State
Highway 84. The town sits about 20 miles northeast of Moline. It was platted in the 1830's with the river
as a source of power. The railroad came into the town in the 1860's and ensured Albany's growth. The current population of
Albany is approximately 1,100.
The high school was first formed in 1860. However, the first graduating class was in 1888 with five girls.
A 1904 annex was built. Albany High School offered Basketball as an activity and may have offered, for
a short time, football.
Despite the growth promises, Albany High School shut it's doors in 1944 and students went to neighboring
Fulton and Cordova High Schools with the AHS school district paying the tuition. The original building, with an 1904 annex, was torn
down some years later. This school was converted into a grade school from 1944-1952. In 1952 a new school was built nearby
the older one, which was demolished. Albany's grade school closed her doors in 2005.
Albany High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1860
Year HS closed: 1944
Year GS closed: 2005
Consolidated to: Fulton River Bend School District
Albany HS nickname: "Panthers"(?)
Team colors: Red
& White (?)
School Fight Song. Not Available
Albany High School is one of many high schools that offered athletics and never won IHSA hardware. As mentioned,
Albany offered Basketball and may have offered Football.