The History of Reynolds High School
Reynolds (population 508) is located in southern Rock Island County in northwestern Illinois. Illinois
Route 94 connects Reynolds to the county namesake, Rock Island, located 11 miles to the north of Reynolds. Mill Creek
flows through the center of Reynolds.
A booklet was sent to us by Reynolds High School Class of 1951 graduate George Carpenter.
The title of the booklet is "Reynolds High School, Reynolds, Illinois, 1890 - 1957". The follwing history of Reynolds
High School was written from information collected by Paul and Ardith Mongerson and
is copied directly from page 1 of the booklet:
"Reynolds High School started in the fall of 1888 as a 2-year high school. The first four students
graduated in the spring of 1890. The smallest graduating class was 1 student in 1892 with one teacher. The largest
graduating class was 61 students in 1951 with 18 teachers.
In 1921, RHS became a 3-year school and in 1931, it became a 4-year high school. In 1922 a Community
High School District was organized and in 1940, ninety-one square miles of area were added for a total of 150 square miles
in the Reynolds Community High School District. In the spring of 1957, the last senior class graduated from RHS.
In the fall of 1957, RHS moved into the new centrally located facility at Edgington and became Rockridge High School.
Memorabilia from Reynolds High School are on display in the hallway at Rockridge High School.
The Reynolds High School Alumni Banquet is held each year on the second Saturday in June."
The photo below is of the current Reynolds Grade School for grades K - 6.
Reynolds High School Quick Facts
First grad. class: 1890
Three-Year HS: 1921-1931Four-Year HS: 1932-1957
Smallest class to grad.: 1 student (1892)
Largest class to grad.: 61 (1951)
Last class to grad.: 1957 (49 students)
Total number of grad.: 1,312
Consolidated to: Rockridge
High School (Taylor Ridge)
School team nickname: "Rockets"
School team colors: Maroon & White
School Fight Song: unavailable