The History of Kingston High School
Kingston (population 980) is located in northeastern Illinois and may soon (if it isn't already) be considered
a western suburb of Chicago. The town is situated in northern Dekalb County on IL Rt. 72 at Five Points
Road. This places Kingston about 15 miles southeast of Rockford. The Soo Line Railroad runs through town as does the
Kishwaukee River. A great web site for more on the history of Kingston can be found at http://www.villageofkingston.org/history.html .
Kingston was officially recognized as a town in Illinois in 1886. The school system probably started
a little before that time. Kingston supported its own high school until the 1940's when consolidation talks with
nearby Genoa were started. The talks became a reality in 1947 with the creation of the Genoa-Kingston School District. The high school
and most of the grammar school students attend school in Genoa. There is still an elementary school in Kingston supporting
grades 2 and 3 for the Genoa-Kingston School System.
The Kingston School building that housed high school education, pictured above, burned down in
a fire in 1954. A replacement building was soon built on the same grounds. Pictured at the bottom of this page are two schools:
the top picture was the Kingston School of the 1800s, and the bottom picture is the Kingston Elementary School today.
Kingston High School Quick Facts
Year opened: late
Year closed: 1947
Consolidated to: Genoa-Kingston School
School nickname: "Tigers"
School colors: Red & White
(Black & White through approximately 1940)
School Fight Song: unavailable