The History of Dana High School
The village of Dana (population 171) sits quietly in the lower southwestern portion of LaSalle County. Il.
Route 179 makes a sharp turn from the north to the west in the middle of Dana and runs about 6 miles to the west before intersecting
with Interstate Highway 39. The At & St Railroad also runs on an angle from the southwest to the northeast
directly through the center of town.
The origin of the town of Dana and its school system is in need of research. It is believed Dana may have
originally been platted by the railroad. The school system was probably initiated in the late 1800s / early 1900s. It is known
that Dana supported its own school, which included a high school, through the 1948 school year. It was then, as with many
small towns of that year, that Dana High School was closed. The students of the 1948-49 school year attended class in
The students of Dana today still attend school in Minonk, now as part of the Fieldcrest School District. According
to former student Kristi A. Terry, Dana's school building continued its use as a grade school for the Minonk-Dana-Rutland
school district through 1978. In that year the Dana school was closed and the children bussed to Minonk to complete their
The High School building still stands at the south edge of town, a little run down, yet serving
proudly as a reminder of Dana's great history. If you have information regarding the school please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Dana High School Quick Facts
late 1800s / early 1900s
Year last served as a school: 1978
Consolidated to: Minonk-Dana
the "Demons" (possibly Devils)
School colors: Purple
School Fight Song: