The history of the village of Rutland can be traced back to 1855 when a company was formed in Rutland,
Vermont called the "Vermont Emigration Association" for social, religious and civil purposes. The company found land in Iowa
and Illinois before deciding on the Illinois site due to its location to the Illinois Central Railroad and the land was somewhat
level and was deemed as "exceedingly productive." Each member of the association was entitled to purchase a lot for a home
in the new village and 160 acres of farmland, after it was purchased from the Illinois Central (who had just bought the land
from the government and speculators). The land itself was 22,000 acres & spread over Livingston, LaSalle, and Marshall
The village was laid out in November of 1855 and called New Rutland by the settlers. In 1857, the
first school was built in the village. Over the next five years, over half the association (60 families in all) would be relocated
in the village, leading to its reputation at that time of being one of the best shipping points on the Illinois Central. The
area was known for the amount of corn, catle, and hogs that were raised and shipped from New Rutland, so much to the degree
that warehouses were built for this purpose. In 1879 alone, 181,600 bushels (454 railroad cars of 400 bushels) of corn were
shipped, along with 61 cars of hogs and 464 of cattle.
Somewhere prior to 1900, the "New" in New Rutland was dropped, and the village has gone by Rutland
since that time. The town celebrated its Sesquicentennial (150th birthday) in 2005.