The History of New Holland High School
New Holland (population 318) is located in west Logan County in south central Illinois. A nearby town of
note is Lincoln, located 12 miles to the west and a little north of New Holland. New Holland is located on Il. Route
10, which connects it directly to Lincoln.
The school system in New Holland probably started around the same time as nearly all school districts in
Illinois, that being the middle or late 1800s. The schools in New Holland served the community for about sixty years.
The first high school in New Holland began operating in 1919, then added the fourth year in 1920. By 1923,
the school was located in a store in downtown New Holland before a new building was opened in 1931. In the late 1950s. a consolidation
effort became serious between the towns of New Holland and its neighbor to the north, Middletown.
The consolidation of the two school systems came true in 1961 with the creation of the New Holland-Middletown School District. This
district was eventually deactivated in 1988. The kids of New Holland now attend high school in Lincoln.
The New Holland High School building served as a high school through the closing of the New Holland-Middletown
School in 1988. The building was eventually sold to a private company. It is still standing in town today, proud
of its past heritage. (See also the Middletown and New Holland-Middletown pages on this site.)
New Holland High School Quick Facts
Year opened (as a 3-yr school): 1919
Fourth year added: 1920
New Holland-Middletown School District
Year HS Building Closed: 1988
Consolidated to: Lincoln
Maroon & White
School Fight Song: