The History of Bible Grove High School
Bible Grove (population approximately 125) is located in southeastern Illinois in the northeastern
portion of Clay County. It is situated on County Highway 8 just east of County Highway 2. U.S. Route 45 passes by about
4 miles to the west as well. The town is about 20 miles south (and a little east) of Effingham. According to www.mapquest.com the town is about 5 blocks from east to west and 3 blocks from north to south.
The area was first settled in 1835. The township was given its name when a band of hunters found a Bible
in a grove in the area. The book titled "The History of Wayne and Clay Counties Illinois", which was written in 1884,
tells us that the town of Bible Grove may have originally been named Georgetown.
The history of the school system in Bible Grove is in need of research. We know that in the 1880s there
were several small school districts in Bible Grove Township. It is likely that a two or three-year high school was established
in the early 1920s. It is probable that Bible Grove High School was active through the late 1940s, possibly even into
the early 1950s. We do know that today the kids of Bible Grove attend school at the county seat of Louisville in the
North Clay School District.
Bible Grove High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1920s?
Louisville North Clay High School
Bible Grove HS team nickname: Unavailable
Bible Grove HS team colors: Unavailable
Bible Grove HS fight song: Unavailable