The History of Hamburg High School
Hamburg (populaton 126) is located in southwestern Illinois in the north-central portion
of Calhoun County. County Highway 2, which is best known as the "Mississippi River Road" is the main route to and from Hamburg.
Michael Hollow Road also takes you into Hamburg. The Mississippi RIver flows to the west of town as Hamburg is
seated right along its banks.
The town of Hamburg was platted in 1836 by a man named John Shaw. For many years the village showed great
promise and was utilized as a shipping port. Over the last 50 years or so it has settled into its current population.
We know that Hamburg High School was a two-year high school due to the research conducted by Roberta
VanBriesen. She located this information.while searching the internet and reading the page found at the Rootsweb
In summary this article states that as of 1932 Hardin County had a total of 32 school districts. In reference
to Hamburg the article states:
"Since the early twenties, Batchtown and Hamburg had operated two –
year high schools with enrollments of twenty to twenty-five students. The new unit district (Calhoun School District) was
organized in 1951-52, and high school pupils of Batchtown, Hamburg, and Kampsville were being brought to Hardin by school busses. The new Calhoun High School one mile north of Hardin was dedicated in 1961."
Hamburg continued to support a grade school through at least 1967 when 32 children were enrolled at the
school. It is likely that the grade school closed in the 1970s or 1980s.
Hamburg High School Quick Facts
Year Opened: 1920s (two-year HS)
Year Closed: 1951
Consolidated to: Hardin Calhoun High School
Team Nickname: unavailable
Team Colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable