The History of Grandview High School
Grandview (population 75?) is an unicorporated village situated in far east-central
Illinois in the southwest portion of Edgar County. Grandview is located on County Highway 20 about 1 mile south of Illinois
Route 16. According to MapQuest (www.mapquest.com) Grandview is about 4 blocks from east to west and 3 blocks from north to south.
Grandview (spelled "Grand View" in those days) was platted in 1831 due to a large number of settlers moving
to the area to be near the Big Creek. The town enjoyed immediate, steady growth and soon was thought to have a great
future. A hotel and, at one time, six general stores, allowed for plenty of shopping to be done in Grandview. In 1853, however,
the Indianapolis & St. Louis Railroad laid tracks a few miles from town, thus taking away a major source of transportation
and potential commerce from Grandview.
The first school was started in Grandview in 1837. In 1906 a new school building was erected. The building
supported a grade school from 1906 - 1924. In that year an addition was made to the building and a 2-year high school
was begun. The high school existed from 1924 through the end of the 1932-33 school year when it was closed. The
grade school remained open until it was closed in the spring of 1948.
The school building continued to serve the town as a community center, at least through 1968. The children
of Grandview now attend all grades of school in nearby Kansas. A photo and the fate of the Grandview school building is being
Grandview High School Quick Facts
Year opened: 1924
Year closed: 1933
Consolidated to: Kansas High School
Unkown if athletics were offered