The History of Mason High School
Mason (population 396) is located in southeastern Illinois in the south-central portion
of Effingham County. Mason is located on Illinois Route 37 about 8 miles southwest of the city of Effingham. County Highways
12 and 24 also take you to and from Mason. Interstate Highway 57 travels past Mason about 1 mile to the west. The Illinois
Central Railroad also passes through Mason.
An excellent book regarding the history of Effingham County was written in 1888 and is titled "History of Effingham County, Illinois edited by William
Henry Perrin. A very nice history of the early days of the village of Mason can be viewed on page 194. In summary,
the article states the following:
Mason was platted in in 1853 in what is known as Mason Township. Early hopes were
that the town would become a hub of the area, hopeful to reach 5,000 residents. Several small businesses sprang up as did
many residences. The town was incorporated in 1865.
The first school was begun in 1853. A two-story brick school building was built
in 1860. It housed 80 - 100 students taught by 3 teachers. This is the extent of the mention of a school in Mason.
Our guess is that Mason High School began its classes in the late 1800s or early
1900s. It is likely that Mason High School served the community through the late 1940s, possibly longer.
We do know that the students of Mason today attend high school in nearby Effingham. The Effingham High School
web site states that several area schools consolidated in 1948. This effort likely included Mason High School.
Mason High School Quick Facts
late 1800s / early 1900s
Consolidated to: Effingham High
Mason HS nickname: unavailable
Mason HS colors: unavailable
School Fight Song: unavailable